Mandatory Qualifications for Appointment as a New Milford Police Officer:
No person shall be appointed to the Police Department who is not qualified as provided in the New Jersey Statutes. The appropriate authority may also require that an applicant for appointment to the Police Department shall successfully complete a physical, psychological and/or aptitude examination or evaluation. In addition:
- The candidate must be citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of New Jersey.
- The candidate must be of good health, sufficient to satisfy the Board of Trustees of the Police Retirement System of New Jersey that such person is eligible to membership in the retirement system. The candidate shall also be sound in body.
- The candidate must be able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently.
- The candidate must be of good moral character.
- The candidate shall be a high school graduate or have an equivalency certificate recognized by the Education Department of the State of New Jersey.
- The candidate shall complete and file with the Chief of Police a written application, under oath, on a form to be furnished by it.
- No person shall be appointed who has been convicted of any crime or disorderly persons offense involving moral turpitude which, in the judgment of the appropriate authority, would be prejudicial to the morale of the police force.
- No person shall be appointed a regular police officer who is less than 18 years of age.
The appointment process for appointment to the New Milford Police Department will be:
- All qualified candidates shall interview with the Chief of Police and the appropriate authority or its designee.
- Candidates selected after the initial interview shall then be interviewed by the appropriate authority and the Council. Candidates for appointment will be recommended by the appropriate authority and confirmed by the Council.
- All individuals selected for appointment to the Police Department will serve a probationary period.
The Borough of New Milford is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The New Milford Police Department website will post upcoming test announcements under “Employment Opportunities” once approved by the appropriate authority.